Thursday 31 October 2013

Tegan's visit to Kallikulam

As tired as we all are, five of us made it up for 5.30 and headed to the beach to watch the sunrise and a paddle in the water. The landscape was beautiful oranges, it was most defietly worth the early wake up time. I (Tegan)headed to my last pre school of the trip, in a Tuc Tuc to the village of Kallikulam. Mixed emotions about my last session as the end of the trip is class, I was dripping with flowers petals. They all managed to say 'Good Morning' to me in English. The children started their day with prayers led by one of the older students (who was only 5 years old!!!) and then did some exercises counting in English as they went along,they really impressed me when they managed to count backwards in English too. We read the Gruffalo, which they all seemed to enjoy, they loved colouring in thier masks and the colour purple was definely in high demand. The high light of my morning was probably getting them all hyped up by playing keepy uppy with the balloon, and the joy and excitment when we brought out the bubbles. Before lunch with the teachers, my translater Diana, helper Kritika and one of the teachers from the nursery headed to the temple of Ganesh (the hindu elephant God, he symbolises wisdom) We washed our feet with water from a well before they showed me around and talked me through some of the many Hindu Gods. I really enjoys how colourful Sri Lankas culture is. This afternoon we are off to a culture show at a local school which I am looking forward to very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment