Tuesday 22 October 2013

TEAM MEMBERS

Welcome to Ocean Stars

Ocean Stars
 
 
 
 

PRE TRIP REFLECTIONS FROM  OCEAN STARS TEAM 2013

TEAM MEMBER JUDY REFLECTS.........

I am very aware, being at a distance from the Fleet HQ and so submerged in university work that I have not prepared physically or mentally for this trip much yet, but I realise today that perhaps subconsciously I am preparing since yesterday I volunteered to help out at a children's meditation course in January - something I have always avoided doing before - perhaps the anticipation of running sessions for 60 three year olds (or is it 30 six year olds) in Sri Lanka is having an effect. 
I also had the privilege of teaching a week on a second year university module in Intro to Children's Literature. The topic: Picture Books. The books: many, including one of Julia Donaldson's and a mention of The Gruffaloe! So I may be more prepared than I know. 

One thing is for sure however - it will be a strong experience, in one way or another. May we all be able to contribute and benefit from this trip. And thanks to Dil and family for organising it all

TEAM MEMBER TEGAN REFLECTS.....

I am very excited about OST trip. I have no idea what to expect as I have never been anywhere like Sri Lanka before. I have my Immodium and mosquito spray at the ready and very much looking forward to embracing a new culture!

TEAM MEMBER WENDY REFLECTS...

 

 

Well I cannot believe that we only have 7 more sleeps until we fly to Sri Lanka again.  In January this year I was unsure whether I would be able to be part of the trip, but the months have flown by and here I am with my bags half packed (well sort of!). 

 

I am really looking forward to seeing people I met last year and in particular visiting the school in Puliyadimunai. I have such lovely memories of the students and staff at the school who were so kind and made us feel so welcome.  I did not visit the pre-schools last year so that will be a new challenge for me and I feel a bit nervous and anxious about how these sessions will go. But with my friendly Gruffalo in my bag what can go wrong!
 
Let’s hope we don’t have a cyclone again this year, but get a bit more sun to enjoy.

TEAM MEMBER ANDY REFLECTS

 

 
 
Looking forward to the trip now that our teaching resources have been packed into the large suitcases - the hand luggage will have to accommodate my personal items! It's been very helpful to hear from others who've been on Dilannee's visits in previous years - the main message seems to be 'go with the flow when you're there and be prepared to be overwhelmed by the offers of food, especially cake'. Must make sure I download plenty of music and a good audiobook onto my phone for the long flights - don't expect there'll be much time for relaxation when we're in Sri Lanka.


 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment